Welcome to Support Raising. I hope that this will serve to inform you on what it means to raise support at Great Oaks Camp. Here are some quick concepts for you to understand:
1) Don't be intimidated: it is surprising to learn how many people there are that want to provide a one time gift of support to young people giving a summer to ministry. Don't be afraid to invite people to support you in this mission.
2) You are a short term Missionary: You may not be overseas or learning a new language but you are evangelizing to youth from a different culture than you may be used to.
3) When asking for support you are allowing people to partner with you in ministry. Their financial support helps reach children and in turn they receive rewards in heaven for the work you do at camp.
4) All money raised will help supplement your salary. Since all the youth come to camp for free, having people support you will help us be able to provide more finances to bringing youth to camp. If you raise more money than you earn for the summer, it goes directly to your paycheck.
STEPS TO SUPPORT RAISING
1) Write a letter. You will be writing a letter explaining why you are getting involved with the camp and to provide a way for your friends & family to support you while at camp. The sample support letter provided is only supposed to be a guide. Make the letter your own: be personal and to the point. Show people your excitement as God is using you this summer. This should be turned in at least 2 weeks before you come to camp. Don't stress out about it. It should only take you around 30-40 min.
2) Create a Contact List. Staff are to put together a list of people they feel would support them this summer and their addresses. A minimum of 30 people is required. However, we encourage you to do more. Usually, staff raising more than their guaranteed salary contact 50-100 people. To be turned in with the letter.
3) Proofing and Sending. Once the Letter and contact list is sent back to us, we will look it over for any corrections and then do the rest of the work for you. We will put together information on camp with your letter and send it out on our expense.